With the financial support of the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), the Community Data Program of the Canadian Community Economic Development Network has launched a Solutions Lab project called “Developing easy-to-use community decision-making tools to help achieve National Housing Strategy goals”. Working in partnership with municipal and community sector organizations active in the housing sector, the CDP Solutions Lab project will strengthen evidence-based planning and decision making using innovative methods and tools to transform municipal and neighbourhood scale data into better programs, policies and operational decisions. These methods and tools will respond to the real constraints of time and analytical staff support needed to apply data to housing-related decisions affecting neighbourhoods and communities.
The project is being delivered over eighteen months, from October 1, 2020, until March 31, 2022, in the form of structured and facilitated workshops, webinars, tools development and testing, and technical guidance. The project aims to integrate several innovations into the work of local planners, policy analysts, and decision-makers, including:
- Common indicators relevant to measuring housing results at the municipal and neighbourhood scale
- New data sources and uses of data, including data modelling
- Use of new software to support data visualization and data access
- Shared learning between provincial jurisdictions
- More effective feedback loops to better understand the impact of data on local decision making
This project received funding from the National Housing Strategy under the NHS Solutions Labs initiative.
1. Reference Documents
|This section includes a table of the CDP Solutions Lab Working Group meetings: schedule, notes, presentations and/or links to the recorded webinars.|
3. Progress in Identifying and Meeting User Data Needs and Comments on CDP Engagement
4. Housing-Related Websites of CDP Members
|This section provides links to housing-related web pages and/or documents of CDP members interested in becoming community partners.|
5. Community Decision Support Tool for Housing Issues: Demonstration Version
|To open this dashboard, download the latest version of Tableau Reader here for free.|
6. Project Team
- CDP Solutions Lab Challenge Brief
- English version (.pdf)
- French version (.pdf)
- CDP Solutions Lab Survey Findings Report (.pdf)
- Report of a Stakeholder Survey and Insight Generation workshop Comments and Interview notes (.pdf)
- Data Lab Insight Generation PlayBook (.pdf)
- Facilitator's Guide to Community Data MicroLabs (.pdf)
- University of Waterloo Student Team Reports on Current Canadian Literature Prepared for Housing Decision-Making (.pdf)
- CDP Solutions Lab Working Group Terms of Reference (.pdf)
- Initial Research Results on Community Decision-Making Tools (.pdf)
|Date||Topic of meeting||Documents|
January 12, 2021
January 19, 2021
March 2, 2021
National Insight Generation Workshop
April 8, 2021
Solutions Lab on Community Decision-Making Tools for Housing Issues: National Survey and Research Findings
April 22, 2021
National level ideation session followed by microlabs engagement of local stakeholders ideation sessions
June 15, 2021
National session to share ideas from local microlabs & confirm prototyping approach
September 14, 2021
Prototyping activities workshop
November 16, 2021
|Prototype development workshop|
December 14, 2021
|Presentation of draft prototype|
March 2, 2022
Lessons Learned Roundtable / Road map engagement session
Progress in Identifying and Meeting User Data Needs and Comments on CDP Engagement
- Canadian Housing Policy Roundtable Proposals for Data Improvement
- CMHC Housing Supply Challenge
- Solutions Lab: Family Homelessness in Vanier-Overbrook Neighbourhoods of Ottawa
- University of British Columbia – Kelowna re: Sharing Accommodation
- CMHC Housing Market Insights - Report on rentals by ownership type
Housing-Related Websites of Select CDP Members
Community Decision Support Tool for Housing Issues: Demonstration Version
Click here to download the Community Decision Support Tool for Housing Issues: Demonstration Version Tableau dashboard.
To open this dashboard, download the latest version of Tableau Reader here for free.
Cliquez ici pour télécharger l'Outil communautaire d'aide à la décision pour les enjeux de logement (version française du Community Decision Supprt Tool for Housing Issues)
- Community Data Program (CDP)
- The Community Data Program is an initiative of the Canadian Community Economic Development Network (CCEDNet), a national association of organizations and people throughout Canada committed to strengthening communities by creating economic opportunities that enhance social and environmental conditions. The program facilitates access to the evidence needed to tell our stories and inform effective and responsive policy and program design and implementation. The CDP makes data accessible and useful for all members with training and capacity building resources.
- Lansdowne Technologies Inc.
- The Lansdowne Consulting Group is a management consulting firm based in Ottawa, Canada. They specialize in the planning and management of complex projects, businesses, proposals, procurements, security challenges, emergency management and professional development. Lansdowne will guide the design and the delivery of activities for the lab using a social innovation approach and in a way that helps diverse stakeholders co-develop solutions to complex housing problems.
- Priority Decision Data Inc.
- Priority Decision Data Inc. aims to facilitate whole-of-system measurement of comparative policy and program effectiveness, leading to ranked solutions based on different indicators. A whole-of-system assessment comparing effectiveness of government policies and programs applies innovative techniques using major datasets, including new housing and urban indicators. As part of the CDP Solutions Lab team, we help guide output development, design indicator frameworks, and conceptualize policy development/evaluation tools based on decisions of the Solutions Lab management team and the work of Community Partners.
This project entitled “Developing Easy-To-Use Community Decision-Making Tools To Help Achieve National Housing Strategy Goals” received funding from the National Housing Strategy under the NHS Solutions Labs. However, the views expressed on this portal are the views of the authors and of individual member organizations of the Community Data Program and CMHC accepts no responsibility for them.